Understanding the floor is the basic part of a space, which has an important role to strengthen the existence of objects in space. Floor functions in general are: supporting activities in space and forming the character of space. When people walk on the floor, the characters that appear are: durable, not slippery and neutral in color (not dominant). Home floors are used to put items such as chairs, tables, cupboards, etc. and support various activities such as walking, children running, sitting on the floor, and others.
From the aesthetic side, the floor serves to beautify space and form the character of space. The color themes and images that are displayed can take any concept according to the characters that appear. Some themes that can be applied such as traditional ethnicity, modern minimalism, retro and so on.
The following are some types of floors with various characteristics that are often used in most homes:
- Plaster Floor. This type is classified as the simplest and cheapest, because it is treated as when plastering walls and diacels until smooth. But the difference with the treatment on the wall is to do the step of rubbing the floor until smooth and shiny. The color produced is the same as the cement-sand color and tends to be darker. In some applications, covering the area of space, it has a weakness when a crack occurs and cannot be replaced with material and must be patched.
- Ceramic floor. This type of floor is very commonly used. Ceramics have a high flexibility to use and can be applied to almost all parts of the house. Besides being strong, the floor of the house from ceramic materials also does not require polishing and is easy to maintain. The impression of ceramic material is warm. Today various ceramic textures are sold on the market, which are visually similar to other types of material. For example: ceramic textured marble, granite, wood, stone, brick and so on.
- Marble floor. Marble is much preferred because it has more character and is classy luxury. Irregular textures and patterns and limited natural supplies make this material expensive. Marble material has the impression of cold and strong. The weakness of marble is that it has relatively large pores. Relatively large porous marble requires extra care. This is because marble easily absorbs liquids and rugs, leaving stains if not cleaned quickly.
- Granite Floor. Granite has denser pores, so it has a smaller possibility for water and dirt to enter. Granite has a cool and impressive impression. Granite rocks are obtained from hills or granite mountains. But in line with technological developments, artificial granite is now available with more diverse motifs and cheaper prices.
- Wooden floor. The most common are parquette, which comes from the word parquetry. Wood material has a warm and natural impression. In addition to coming from solid wood, parquet materials now also come from non-wood materials such as bamboo. The other type is laminate which is processed wood whose surface is the result of printing.